Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spring is in the air!!

Let me begin by saying that I like winter, I really do. Winter to me means holidays (Thanksgiving and Christmas), time with family, no school, possibility of snow, etc. However, after January, I am ready to winter to leave and for spring to arrive. I love spring, it is one of my favorite times of the year, mostly because you can still breathe outside in Georgia, but also because you can spend more time outside, and summer is right around the corner. To kick off the first day of spring, Max and I headed outside to conquer our flower beds.

Typically, we have flowers in our flower beds year round. After our zinnia died with the first frost in October (like the label said they would), we would have planted pansies. But, being that it was the middle of football season, and I was working long hours at work, we ran out of time, so our flower beds have been bare since October.

We went to church this morning, and then headed to Pike's nursery to see what looked good. Max's job when it comes to our flower beds is to research what flowers we will plant. Together, we clean out the flower beds, and he tills in the soil and manure. This year, he decided he wanted to plant snap dragons until we could plant zinnias in April, early May.

While Max was scoping out the snap dragons, I was looking at flowers to fill my antique wash bin I bought last year and patio furniture. I have been wanting patio furniture forever, but we don't have a large enough patio (if you can even call it that, it is more like a concrete slab) for a full dining set. But I am determined to buy some kind of furniture for our patio this summer even if it is only 2 chairs and a side table. Max loaded up on snap dragons, and I found flowers for my wash bin.

We headed home, unloaded the car, and Max went to Lowe's to buy soil, manure, and mulch, while I went to Publix for our weekly grocery shopping trip. When we got back, we put on our dirty clothes and headed outside. While Max was cleaning out the flower bed up against our house, I cleaned out the wash bin and planted my flowers.

I planted 2 snap dragons, 2 grass things, 2 yellow flowers, and 3 spillers (I forgot the official names of the grass, yellow, and green flowers). It looks kind of thin now, but I'm hoping it will fill out.

After Max cleaned out the bed against our house, I planted the snap dragons. We bought 4 of each color: red, yellow, white, light pink, and dark purple/pink.

And then we moved to the flower bed with the mailbox.
I'm not too thrilled with this flower bed. It looks very thin. When we finished the bed by the house, we only had 4 plants left. Max went back to Pike's for 6 more plants, but bought 8, and we still don't have enough. Max just tells me that we are experimenting with the snap dragons. I still don't love it, but it is much better than it was, which was totally empty.

Now our house looks a little happier.

This is the back of our house. We live on the golf course, so we have no neighbors behind us which I love.
Isn't our patio super small : (

We also have azaleas planted along the back of our house as well as a 2 clematis plants that grow up the trellis.

This trellis was also an antique find. I actually went out looking for a trellis, and came back with the trellis, wash bin, topiary (in the front yard) and an old ceiling tile from a building in New York City that hangs in our 1/2 bath downstairs.

I LOVE my wash bin.

And my topiary in the front.

We had a pretty good weekend. I didn't do much on Saturday because I wasn't feeling well (one negative thing about spring is that my allergies start to act up). But I made up for my lazy Saturday with a productive Sunday. Hope everyone had a great first day of Spring!!

Oh, and another great thing about spring is that it is time for spring break...only 2 more weeks. Next weekend, my friend Biz will be getting married on Saturday. On Sunday, we will be heading down to Max's parents house to borrow their truck to get our jet ski out of the storage unit!!! Can't wait for weekends at the lake house.

Hope everyone has a happy Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment