Friday, March 18, 2011

Special Olympics

Today, was the much anticipated local Special Olympics in Fayette County at Starr's Mill High School. The kids LOVE and look forward to this day, while the teachers look forward to this day for much different reasons, when it will be over. Typically it is freezing, rainy, chaotic, long, etc, so it is often a day we dread. However, this year proved us wrong, at least me anyways. The weather was AWESOME, high of 80, and sunny.

Michelle and I had been planning on week on what we needed to bring. So this morning, we loaded 2 coolers full on gatorades and water, 2 rolling carts of blankets, towels, sunscreen, snacks, and about 7 folding chairs onto the bus.

When we got to Starr's Mill, they had a tunnel for the all of the athletes with their PALS, cheerleaders, and band. Because we had so much stuff, we sent every athlete with a chair to carry while Michelle, her son Josh, my para Pamela and I drove to the other side of the stadium to get out with the rest of our stuff and 2 of my students who use a wheelchair. We got unloaded and were met by my student's buddies. We got situated in our section and lined up for the opening ceremonies. Every school has a banner they carry (similar to the flags countries use for the opening ceremonies in the Olympics), but ours was missing. We tore up both of our classrooms this week looking for it, but it was nowhere to be found (I'm sure I will find it Monday morning). We lined up, sang the national anthem, recited the Special Olympics oath (which always brings a tear to my eyes), and then we were off. I sent Pamela with my 2 students who were not able to participate in the events to the field day area where they at cotton candy, snow cones, had their faces painted, balloon animals, and other fun things. I went with my other 2 students through their events. My students participated in the 50 meter dash and the softball throw. Needless to say, my student's kicked butt (we've been practicing FOREVER)!!

The events began probably around 10:15, and we didn't get finished until almost 1:45. We then ate Chick-fil-A for lunch, loaded all of our stuff back up on the bus, and got back to school around 2:30, just in time to pack up and go home. I wish I could post pictures of the fun day, but I don't have parental permission to do so.

After school, I signed my contract for next year, and then went to an "Around the Clock" shower for a teacher friend of mine, Elizabeth aka "Biz." Biz's mom works for the special education department and I met Biz this summer while she and I were working summer school together. Biz's wedding in on March 26, so we were running out of time to do something for her. Kristen, another school friend, planned an "Around the Clock" shower and I was given midnight!! YAY!!! Who wouldn't have fun planning a gift for someone to use at midnight. I won't bore you with all of the details, but I will say that I did go into my first adult store!! So awkward...... We all met at a pizza place and gave gifts and visited. There are not many self-contained special education teachers in our county and because there are only a few of us at each school, when we all get together, we have a blast. Congratulations Biz and Stephen. I hope you enjoy my gift.


No comments:

Post a Comment