Thursday, March 17, 2011

Recently

So, I haven't been blogging too long, but I already feel like a slacker. For some reason I feel that we haven't had much going on and therefore, I don't have much to blog about, but we have been super busy recently. So I guess I'll just blog about what we have been up to in all areas.

My work: I am currently in the process of transferring to another school within my county. When I started applying for jobs, I knew I wanted to work in Fayette County. The school system is known for their great schools, especially the special education department, and I wanted to be associated with a great district. Also, because we do not live in Fayette County, when we have children, they would be able to go to Fayette County schools since I work there. When I had one semester left of my master's program, I applied and interviewed in Fayette County, and I was hired after one interview. Being a new teacher, you take whatever you are offered, especially the way things are with the economy and school. I was offered a severe/profound self-contained classroom with 3 students, all girls. While I was at Auburn, I knew I wanted to teach self-contained, so I was very happy to be getting my "dream" job.

Fast forward a year and a half, I am ready for a change. I have 4 students, 3 girls and 1 boy, and I love my kids. Last year, the other self-contained teacher at my school left so I requested to be placed in her room. Unfortunately, due to various reasons, I was unable to get the room, but looking back, it all worked out perfectly. I absolutely LOVE the teacher that took that room, my parter in crime, Michelle. She used to teach Kindergarten, and then went to special education, and then to middle school special education, and she is AWESOME!! She is one reason why requesting a transfer has been difficult. However, trying to get into a new school and program is something that means a lot to me. When I originally interviewed, I was asked what my "dream" job would be, and at that time it was an elementary autism classroom. Now, I just want to be in an elementary classroom.

I signed my contract on Friday for next year (so I have a job), and I'm hoping to hear something in the next few weeks about where I will be placed. I have heard of a few openings, so maybe I will have the opportunity to transfer.

Max's work: Everything is pretty much the same, which is good and bad. He is still working at Newnan Hospital as a pharmacist.

Extra curricular: Max has joined our church's basketball team. They play every Thursday night. When he was in high school, he used to play on a church team in Phenix City with a good friend of his, Christopher. When I saw in our bulletin they were looking for men who were interested in playing basketball, I knew this was right up his alley. It has been so much fun going to his basketball games on Thursday nights for the past 2 1/2 months. Thursday is their last game, so I will have to try and get a picture.

I have actually started coaching the track team at my school (crazy, I know). I know NOTHING about track, but have come to really enjoy it. I wasn't exposed to track until my sophomore year of high school, since none of my previous schools had track teams. At that point, it was too late to get involved in a brand new sport, so now I can live vicariously through the student athletes I coach. I coach track with Michelle, another special education teacher, Kristin, and an 8th grade social studies teacher, David. We have track practice Monday-Thursdays, and usually have 1 meet a week. Our first meet was scheduled for last Tuesday, but it was rained out. We have a meet this Wednesday, and I'll admit, I'm a little nervous, but it is so much fun.

Other than all of that, there isn't much going on.


No comments:

Post a Comment