Saturday, February 12, 2011

A Murder at the McKay's


Ok, so there really wasn't a murder. But, if the police would have shown up at our house on Thursday, I probably would have gone to jail.

Backstory:
During the week of pre-planning in August, Michelle (my "partner in crime" at work; she is the other special education teacher at my school in addition to me) and I were coming back from a meeting and found a cat with a very tiny kitten. Since it is 1,000,000 degrees in the South during summer, we were very concerned about the cats. Michelle and I agreed that she would take the kitten and I would take the mommy cat. Michelle, unfortunately, wasn't able to take the cat, so 6 months later, Max and I have a dog, the mommy cat, Smokey, and her kitten Gizmo.

When we took the cats for their shots, we were told that Gizmo was a boy. He is VERY wild, very feral. Does not like to be touched or anything, but he has given us very little trouble. Now that he is 6 months old, it is time for him to be fixed.

So, I called the vet on Wednesday, and they had an availability on Thursday morning. Perfect. Max and I discussed how we were going to capture Gizmo on Thursday morning and he said that he could manage. I told him if he needed help in the morning, I would be more than happy to help (Max deals with the cats, and I take care of the dog). He said he could handle it, no worries.

At 6:00 on Thursday morning, I woke up and Gizmo had yet to be caught (Max leaves for work at 6:15). I got up and asked if he needed help. He said no, he had it, so I got in the shower. While in the shower, I hear Max running around upstairs trying to catch the cat. By the time I got out, Max and Gizmo were in our room. With 6:15 quickly approaching, I decide to help. At this point, Gizmo is very freaked out, so we had our work cut out for us. Gizmo then began climbing up our curtains (yes, all the way to the top). As he starts climbing/falling down, Max grabs him. Needless to say, Gizmo was not happy. He bit and clawed Max to pieces as I'm getting the kennel. Max then runs out of the room and leaves a bloody handprint on our door (imagine the scene in Titanic in the car, but blood on the door). It is now 6:35, so Max bandaged himself up and headed to work and left me to deal with the crazy cat.

Gizmo has now made his way under our bed, so I rearrange furniture in our room to block his side of the bed and mine so the only way out is at the foot of the bed. Of course, he makes it out and runs into our bathroom, which is great because now it is a much smaller space and no where to hide!! After he runs frantically around for about 5 minutes, I end up cornering him on our counter. While he is in the sink, I put the kennel on the counter and use a towel to hold the door and use a squirt bottle to get him in the kennel. It is now 7:30, so I'm late.

I cried the entire way to the vet. Gizmo was so traumatized, and when he didn't move or make any noise in the car, I was so afraid he had a heart attack or stroke. I got him checked in and made my way to work (30 minutes late). I called Max and told him to expect a disaster at home when he got off. It was quite the crazy morning.

The vet called when his surgery was done and said everything went great. They also said that Gizmo was not a boy, but a girl!! So now it's Max, and 4 females, bless his heart.


Little Gizmo recovering

No comments:

Post a Comment